Sunday, June 15, 2008

Innie or Outie?

Is your church an “innie” or an “outie”? Does it focus inward or outward? My wife made this observation the other day, and I thought it was pretty profound. (I try to get her to write on this blog but she never wants to). Anyway, we were researching local churches on the internet and she said, “You know, this church seems like it’s focused more inward and not outward.” Their website was full of all the activities they offer if you join their “family” but had nothing about their beliefs, their mission or their local outreach.

I had never really looked at churches from that perspective before. Or maybe I had but just couldn’t quite put it into words. But she articulated it in a simple way that summed up some of the vague feelings I’ve been having about church.

The “innies” are more common than the “outies.” The “outies” focus their attention on the Great Commission: they evangelize, they publish, they broadcast, they teach, they give. One church we’ve been visiting (which I’m not 100% on board with yet) is—I must admit--an “outie.” They just had a food drive for the poor, they started a prison visitation ministry, they witness to their neighbors, they give their members doctrinal insight to be effective ambassadors for Christ. Even though they’re small in number, they’re more focused outward.

Who knows, maybe they’ll become more focused inward when they get bigger. Maybe that’s the fate of large churches: too busy trying to keep the members happy to fulfill the Great Commission.

“Innie” churches aim to please. They promote shiny things for those inside. Once you join, they usually don’t ask you to participate in spreading the gospel or push you too deeply into the Word of God. They might write feel-good checks to foreign missionaries in exotic places, but don’t do much for the harvest in their own town. Instead, they make their church the evangelical equivalent of a “Chuck E. Cheese” party, and it’s a great distraction so long as you’re busy busy busy within the church compound. They want you happy. They want you comfortable.

For the record, I’m not comfortable reaching out. I’m a terrible public speaker, would dread “cold-calling” someone about the gospel, and have no desire to be a “mini-pastor.” So it’s tempting for me to become just a spectator in an “innie” church. But God gives us all a few gifts and a few decades to use them. Some are orators. Some write. Some make music. Some build. Some cook. Some research. Some sew. Some teach.

Is your church using the gifts of its members to reach out and advance the Kingdom? Or is it focused on keeping everyone entertained so that the “professional Christians” in the “church family” can justify their salaries? Is it an “innie” our an “outie”?

If that’s got you thinking…thank my wife.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for using your "gift" in an insightful way.
Personally, I would love to read a post from your precious wife. :) I thank God for your family.

Anonymous said...

you got me uncomfortable about my belly button now!!! it becomes more of an innie as I get older.... leave it to the wives to come up with the most profound of topics in such an easy to understand way!!