Saturday, January 3, 2009

Abandon public education?

This article is of interest to me for two reasons. One, because I've experienced both the government school model (as a student) and the homeschool model (as "the principal," as my wife says). And two, because one of my friends in college was the son of Chaplain E. Ray Moore, the man behind the Exodus Mandate.

Here's the accompanying video. My only critique is that it shouldn't be framed as a reactionary retreat, but rather a willful return to a more ideal model.



If we're to render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and unto God what is God's, then it's not unreasonable to ask which category our children fall into. Are they Caesar's or God's?

I realize homeschooling is impractical for some families--single working mothers, for example--and I've never said it was a Christian commandment per se. We have many friends and family members who are trying to be salt in the government schools and we wish them well. They may fare better than my family in the end. So I don't push homeschooling on people. It's just what's best for our family right now. And it gives us a chance to exercise our liberty and say, "We choose not to play by the enemy's rules today."

We'll see how it turns out. So far we've avoided Bratz dolls, Earth Day, pro wrestling, and Hannah Montana. So that's a start.

No comments: